Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 14 year old Italian greyhound's back legs are wobbly and

Customer Question

My 14 year old Italian greyhound's back legs are wobbly and she can't stand up. She won't eat her food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing is there
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: She has a slipped disc
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long has Bailey been struggling with her legs this time?

When was the last time she ate?

What is your zip code?

Is she urinating/defecating normally?

Is she drinking water still?

Is she on any medications for her back at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A few weeks ago she had a leg episode.She ate yesterday.92688She poops and pees just fineAs far as I know she has been drinking water.I do have a pain medication for her back flair ups. She hasn't had one in like 3 months.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since she does have a disc issue, I suspect that what you're seeing is a result of that. It's actually very common for a slipped disc to cause nerve impingement (meaning that the disc pinches the nerves) compromising the function of the legs.

Since you already have medication that is prescribed for her for the back issue, I would suggest you give her some today and try to keep her quiet. If this is a nerve issue, the medication will bring down the swelling and/or help with the discomfort and may help her move her legs better.

If you don't see even a slight improvement by the time your normal vet opens tomorrow, then you should give them a call and have them take a peek at her, just to be on the safe side.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa