How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11137
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 3 small whimzees - natural vegetarian and gluten

Customer Question

Hi this is Barbara. My dog ate 3 small whimzees - natural vegetarian and gluten free, and ate a bowl of whole pows - weight management. Within 10 mins he began coughing, gagging, and was acting erratic - looked like the was trying to eat the carpet and - I took him outside and he began to rather ravenously eat lantana...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tyrus. He is 12.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tyrus?
Customer: he is 8lbs over weight and get s very little exercise. he has slight heart murmur.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello Barbara and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. The Whimzees should not cause a problem. I am not familiar with Pows for weight management. A Google search did not bring up anything. If you want to tell me the ingredients, I can tell you if they are toxic. However, at this point, it doesn't matter because he ate lantana. It is quite toxic, and can cause liver failure. I know you were hoping to be told that Tyrus will be the or that there was a home remedy, but the best thing to do is to take him to an emergency clinic.His first symptoms may have been caused by the things he ate, or it may have been a coincidence. But those symptoms, combined with the fact that he ate lantana, make this an emergency situation.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Tyrus will be fine.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
You can confirm lantana toxicity on the ASPCA poison center:http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/lantana