Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has had her tooth removed and has been on antibiotics

Customer Question

My dog has had her tooth removed and has been on antibiotics multiple times but she continues to have a sore on her face under her eye that has blood and pus come out. What else could it be since we had the tooth removed?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tinker and she is 13.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. She doesn't act like it hurts. We have been on 3 rounds of antibiotics and she has had 2 shots. The sore goes away while in meds and once she stops meds it comes right back bleeding with pus.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this. In these cases either the wrong tooth was extracted, more than one tooth was involved but just one was extracted, or the correct tooth was incompletely extracted. Dental X-rays of Tinker should clear up this conundrum.

In rarer cases, an osteomyelitis (bone infection) persists in spite of the abscessed tooth being extracted. Culture of the draining fistula will identify the bacteria and which antibiotic would be the best to administer for 4-6 weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?