Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She ate half of a 60 mg capsule of cymbalta. and she is 6

Customer Question

she ate half of a 60 mg capsule of cymbalta.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lolita and she is 6 y/o and she weighs 6 1/2 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lolita?
Customer: She is a chihuahua mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Cymbalta (duloxetine) can cause sedation at just 0.5 mg/lb but tremors at 5 mg/lb and as the dose increases, agitation, aggression, panting, tachycardia, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures can arise. 30 mg in a 6.5 lb dog is 4.6 mg/lb which might cause tremors in Lolita. If it's been less than an hour and she's not symptmatic yet, inducing emesis with 1 measuring teaspoon (5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide administered with an eydropper or small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek would be prudent. She should vomit within 15 minutes; if not please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.