Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog has been yelping a lot when picked up or moving

Customer Question

My dog has been yelping a lot when picked up or moving certain ways today. I don't see any physical signs of injury and he is eating and using the bathroom fine and walkin around ok. It seems to only happen when he moves to adjust himself while laying down or if I pick him up to help him down. He's a 4 year old dachshund. I also haven't seen him do anything that would cause any injury.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

So Opie's only been like this today?

Has he been doing any jumping on things or off of things recently?

If you press along his spine, how does he act?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just today. He honestly jumps on and off the couch all the time but it's only about a foot and a half tall. I heard him Yelp a little when I was doing laundry but when he left to leave for my moms, he hopped down and made no indication he was hurt again until we got to her house.I know their breed is prone to back issues so I did feel along his spine and back and moved him back and forth as he was laying down but he didn't make any indications it bothered him. He's even jumped up in a recliner with no reaction either.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mom just told me he just ran out with her dogs barking and carrying on at the neighbors (I'm leaving out of town for work so he's at her house) after he initially yelped when getting up.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

You're definitely on to something when you think that it could be a back issue...especially if it happened after he jumped off the couch earlier.

Luckily, since he's not acting painful when you palpate his back, I suspect that we're just dealing with something like a soft tissue injury (bruising or swelling) rather than anything like a disk issue.

He's already doing exactly what I would recommend at this point...allowing him to just be quiet and rest. If you can keep him from jumping onto/off of anything for a few days, that will help rest his back and get this to clear up.

If it gets worse, or if he's not feeling at least a little bit by the time your normal vet opens on Tuesday, then you should give them a call and have them take a quick x-ray, just to be on the safe side, but as long as he's kept quiet for a couple days, he should be back to normal in no time.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I was hoping to hear something like that but since I'm not a professional I wanted confirmation . My said he came in after barking and got his treat and hopped up next to her with a minor whine but is resting next to her. Thank you for being so quick to answer. I've passed along your recommendation to her and I'll have him checked out Tuesday if he's not any better. Have a good holiday.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

You too!