Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 8 year old neutered male Sheppard lab mix is loosing hair

Customer Question

My 8 year old neutered male Sheppard lab mix is loosing hair (half his back is missing, shoulders are thin, legs thin and tail half missing of hair) ivermectin, new stock, food change, and brewers yeast aren't helping is there something we can try, that we havent?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No no wounds anywhere fleas (we live in Florida) and dry skin is all
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: I'm thinking a testosterone imbalance from what I've read?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: He is neutered and it started with just his center back about two months ago my female pup is two years old and has just gad puppies a bit after it started
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

Is Oliver neutered?

How long has he been losing hair?

When was the last time he saw his vet, complete with blood work?

Does he seem itchy?

Is the missing hair pattern the same on both sides?