Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Whining &shaking s ear, Bandit & he is 7 I 't know if he has

Customer Question

Whining &shaking his ear
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit & he is 7 I don't know if he has a bug in his ear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: He has to have eye drops daily in his eyes for moisture
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

What bred of dog is Bandit?

How long has he been shaking his head?

Can you see in his ear?

Is it red or smelly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is 1/4 pekingese & the rest shitzu. He has been shaking his head since last night. He will lay upside down with his ear to the ground & whine constantly. I have looked in his ear as far as I can see .I can't see anything. It does not smell & is not red
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

While it's possible that there's a bug there, the more likely that he's got an ear infection brewing.

Dogs who have ears that hang down over the opening of the ear tend to get more ear infections because the air isn't able to get in there and circulate, drying things out.

If you have ear cleaner at home, you could use it, but if you don't, then I'd just keep an eye on it until your normal vet opens on Tuesday and have them take a peek at it. Since he's only minorly uncomfortable, I don't feel like you need to rush to the emergency vet or anything over the holiday weekend.

Of course, if it gets worse, then you'll need to go in, but I think watching it until your normal vet opens is the way to go.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you use sweet oil in a dogs ear
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

You can....however, if this is an ear infection and you have him seen on Tuesday, that oil can mess with the test results.