PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She has a mast cell tumor in her nd leg that is oozing and

Customer Question

She has a mast cell tumor in her hind leg that is oozing and bleeding. She was given the shot convenia on Monday and is scheduled for removal of tumor on July 6th. She isn't eating. When she drinks water she vomits. I clean and wrap the tumor twice a day. Is it the infection that is draining?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Her nose is warm. SHe hasn't eaten since Tuesday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Customer. Thanks for your question.

This could turn out to be a benign stomach upset. That said, because we know that mast cell tumors can cause histamine release in the body which can secondarily cause acid release in the stomach, which usually manifests itself as vomiting and reluctance to eat I would go ahead and approach this from two directions.

First, we typically give antihistamines to reduce the histamine release in the body from the mast cell tumor (MCT). Many vets will recommend that following the diagnosis of a MCT that owners give regular dosages of antihistamines to reduce the risk of histamine-related issues in the body. It doesn't sound like this was expressed to you, so it may not have been a concern at the time.

Unfortunately, because she's vomiting, the chances that she's going to vomit up an antihistamine is pretty good. So, we can try using an antacid like famotidine to reduce the possible acid buildup and later on give the antihistamine.

Again, this could be way off in left field for her condition but because we know that she has an MCT we should aware that it could also be causing the issue. In a case where her stomach is simply bothering her, famotidine should work well and benadryl won't hurt.

There's more info here:

In your shoes, I would give a dose of 0.5mg/pound of body weight of regular pepcid (famotidine) that you can pick up OTC in the pharmacy section of any grocery store. 2 hours following this, offer a small amount of water and see if she holds it down. Move on to a few pieces of boiled chicken or similar that is very bland (boiled egg will work too). If she holds that down, then move on to dosing the antihistamine which is benadryl in tablets or capsules. You'll give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl orally.

The famotidine and benadryl should be kept up around the clock every 12 hours until she can see your vet. If this continues to be an issue for her, she needs to go to the ER to be checked. MCT are nothing to fool around with when it comes to a pet's overall health and they can cause major life-threatening issues in rare cases. Because she has some of those 'borderline' symptoms, make sure to approach this promptly if she worsens or does not improve.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is she feeling?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?