PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog had puppies on June 25th. She has one puppy not

Customer Question

My dog had puppies on June 25th. She has one puppy not latching and mom has begun not cleaning the pups. She goes to feed them and she is eating and drinking . This one pup also has light blood coming from its anal. It's weak and whining constantly . .. I'm worried
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your puppy?
Customer: I've started supplement feeding with goats milk from store
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: Only when I touch it's rear to clean it
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No,
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your puppy eating normally?
Customer: Pup is weak not whiny
JA: Is your puppy having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No , I clean her all the time. Just now also
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your puppy behaving differently?
Customer: Not latching to mom, weak and whining
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: They probably need to see mom and pups. Mom is not cleaning her pups
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, JACustomer.

If mom is not cleaning the puppies well, the job will fall to you. You will need to clean the puppies and stimulate them to use the bathroom after every feeding. You can do this with a damp wash cloth. Make sure that each puppy is warm and dry by the end of the cleaning.

Supplemental feedings are wise, but I would use a different milk supplement. You can use goat's milk, but try following a recipe like this to offer the most benefit to the puppies: http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

The pup that is having blood coming from his anus needs to be examined. A major congenital concern could be at fault here, injury, etc. It may be more kind to humanely euthanize, if this is bad enough, than for him to wait to see if he improves. Until then, continue trying to bottle feed this pup. If mom is no longer interested in helping him, she has doubts that he will survive.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How are things going with the puppies?

Hi Vanessa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy