PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My saint bernard has diarrhea what can I do, Holly and she

Customer Question

My saint bernard has diarrhea what can I do for it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Holly and she is 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: No she has been in very good health she has never been able to drink tap water it's always been baby bottle water and a few days ago I thought since she was older now maybe I could she her to purified water but since I did that she has gotten diarrhea, so I put her back on baby water last night do you think the change might have caused it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Has Holly had any change in her diet? Any human food? New treats?Is there any vomiting?She eating and drinking well?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing has changed in her diet she drinks alot but has slowed down on eating
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No vomiting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She can't have human food or treats
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there

I'm still here. It takes a few moments for your transmission to come through.

Any changes at all that occur with a dog can certainly cause diarrhea. If she has been that sensitive to what variety of water is used in the past, it could certainly be causing issues for her now. As well, the information on my end says that you're in the USA. If so, we also have to assume that there may be the risk that if you live in an area with any variety of fireworks being shot off that the stress of the noise may be causing a GI upset for her.

The safest change that we can make at home is feeding a bland diet for a few days. This typically involves feeding boiled chicken breast and rice. You are also able to use Imodium (please check the associated link on this page for warnings with breed concerns: http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) to help calm the diarrhea, if you wish. Personally, I'd start with the bland diet for a few days and see how she is feeling.

If she's been slowing down on her eating, this may indicate that a GI upset has been coming on for a while and that it's simply come to a head over the course of the weekend. If her diarrhea persists, have her seen by your veterinarian so that medications can be started like metronidazole. She will need to be seen at the ER this weekend if you see any blood, vomiting begins and persists, etc.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.