Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

Our 6 month old papillon developed a bad case of dhiarhea.

Customer Question

Our 6 month old papillon developed a bad case of dhiarhea. We have had him a month with firm stools, but now it is completely liquid. He is eating, drinking, and playing as per normal, and his stool smells like his wet dog food. No blood or mucus, no real change in behavior.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stanley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stanley?
Customer: He tends to pull bark off a tree on our backyard and we are training him to stop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also to be mentioned, he doesn't appear bloated, we have two other dogs that appear unaffected with normal bowel movements and he is staying hydrated.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Based on the fact that Stanley is so young, having his stool tested for parasites would be the first step I would recommend. Since he is otherwise acting normally, I would not ordinarily recommend an emergency visit for something like this. However; based on the fact that he is so small and very young, he could potentially be very dehydrated by Tuesday, when most clinics will be open again. Therefore; I do think you should take him somewhere later this morning for evaluation and a fecal check, then treatment as indicated/recommended. If you don't want to pay ER fees, all Banfield Pet Hospitals are open on Sundays and are located within Petsmarts, so you may want to look into that as an option. If these are not feasible options for you, make sure he stays hydrated with plenty of water and pedialyte, and feed him a bland diet of plain boiled chicken and white rice. Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions- Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a dewormer for all 3 dogs as a preventative measure so I have that available, can I just use that and see if it clears up? My reasoning for it not being a parasite is he is the only one with dhiarhea and is in close contact with my other two dogs.

Are your other dogs on heartworm prevention? What sort of dewormer do you have at home?