JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

My 5 year old beagle English bulldog mix is walking

Customer Question

My 5 year old beagle English bulldog mix is walking stiffly, wobbly and just collapses on the ground. He doesn't lose consciousness but just lies there. His appetite which is usually very healthy is gone. In the past week, he has eaten just a few bites of wet food and some scrambled eggs. He is a house dog and is never left unattended while he is outside Should I be concerned or could all of this be attributed to the summer weather?

Category: Dog
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 5 months ago.

Based on what you are describing and Braddock's breed, I would be very suspicious of back pain as the cause of his symptoms and do think he needs to be evaluated sooner rather than later. The most common cause of neck and back pain is intervertebral disc disease, or IVDD. IVDD is degenerative disease of the discs that are in between the bones in the neck and back. These discs undergo changes over time and can lead to bulging of the disc or even complete rupture of the disc. This bulging or rupture can lead to pain, inflammation or even compression of the spinal cord. Clinical signs can range from pain to complete paralysis. Diagnostics to confirm IVDD include advanced imaging under general anesthesia, such as CT or MRI. These diagnostics are usually performed for three reasons: failure to respond to conservative treatment, intractable pain, or the presence of neurologic signs (stumbling, trouble walking, dragging a leg, etc.). Treatment can range from conservative treatment with crate rest and pain medications to surgery to physically remove the piece of disc causing the problem. - Dr. C

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

He is worse today. It is like his back legs aren't keeping him up. I made an appointment with his vet to get him checked out.

His nose is very dry and crusted. I thought it might be heat (I live in Georgia- very hot summers) but now after your answer, I don't think that is it.