Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog ate a roach bait trap with abamectin in it, Berlin is

Customer Question

my dog ate a roach bait trap with abamectin in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Berlin is 2 years old, a german shepherd and rottweiler mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Berlin?
Customer: not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

For the most part these ant traps that are in plastic are not toxic to dogs. If the dog ingests large numbers of them, then there might be more cause to worry, but just one or two should not contain enough poison to do anything at all. However, if your dog ingests the plastic portion, it can cause an intestinal obstruction which can be deadly. You can read about these and they symptoms of them on this website.

You can read about insecticides used in roach and ant baits here:

You can read about abamectin here and see that even daily exposure over time usually did not cause any serious symptoms. So a single dose should not cause any issue due to the abamectin intself.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.