Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I picked up my chihuahua while he was laying down and went

Customer Question

I picked up my chihuahua while he was laying down and went to sit him down with me. When I went to lay him down he yelled a little then I noticed he wasn't turning his head to the right. It's been an hour and he doesn't want to walk, he can stand, but he still can't turn his head to the right.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 11. I think when I picked him up he jerked the opposite way of which I was turning him and has hurt his neck. I can pet him all over his head and neck and he doesn't cry, but is obviously in some pain
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kilo?
Customer: No. Nothing except I'm in Guadalajara Mexico so going to an English speaking vet after hours will be very hard to find
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Yes, cervical (neck) pain is likely present and degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is the most important differential diagnosis in these miniature patients. I understand your logistical constraints. For now, administering aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb (20 mg/kg) with food twice daily should be helpful. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb (15 mg/kg) thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Keep Kilo very quiet lest he hurt himself further. A Guadalajara vet can prescribe a more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) than aspirin and also a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol and skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam if need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this something that will eventually heal on its on and it just hurts for now? Giving him the aspirin just helps with the current pain, right? It doesn't sound like a long lasting problem.

Most simple disks will resolve within 3 weeks. Cervical disks appear to take a bit longer in my experience. Some of these dogs worsen as evidenced by paresis (weakness) or paralysis in any limb(s). The advent of those symptoms indicates the need for surgical decompression of the spinal cord. Please continue our conversation if you wish.