Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I was at petsmart and I put my 8 week old puppy in a

Customer Question

I was at petsmart and I put my 8 week old puppy in a shopping cart and he jumped out and fell on the side of his head. I was turned around at the time so I couldn't see how he fell, (my grandma was supposed to be watching him). I checked the side of his that he fell on and it is a little swollen, eyes are not dilated he is walking fine and eating. But idk? Is there anything else I can check to make sure he is fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Any time there is a head injury the animal should be checked out. Even if immediate signs are not showing problems can start over a week or two period. A slow bleed in the brain or swelling can occur as well as problems like seizures. I highly urge you to have the puppy seen as soon as Reasonably possible. You can read more about head injuries here, just click go directly to the site and will take you to information: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/head-trauma-in-dogs

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay , what will they do to check him when I take him in? I plan on taking him in ASAP.
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

They will do a head Xray and may give some medication to help with swelling and any pain. It is wise to have him in. Just as in people we see delayed problem with head injures and best to err on the side of caution.

Jan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay , luckily I I am taking him for his checkup very soon. Is there anything I need to look out for until then?
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Watch for lethargy, sleeping longer, stumbling, eyes darting, Ataxia (walking drunk), nose bleeds, ears bleeding, twitching and seizures. Any of these things can indicate a problem. You can also add vomiting to that list. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan