Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I was spraying my house with spectracide and I think he

Customer Question

I was spraying my house with spectracide and I think he might have licked some of it. He is a 60 lb Labradore Retreiver. He threw up three or four times what looked like flem or semi clear liquid. About thirty minutes later when I took him into the yard he threw up three times..this time it was food from breakfast. He started eating grass and threw it up too. He's breathing OK and is not lethargic. But he hasn't eaten anything lately nor has he drank amy water...What dp you think I should do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's still playful, but he still throws up the grass and is still coughing up clear looking water looking stuff every once in a while
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway and I am a licensed veterinarian. You can call me Dr. H for short. I understand that your pet may have ingested a toxic chemical for bug control. This is concerning indeed. Right now he is displaying signs of severe gastritis due to the ingestion. Depending on how much he ingested, he can show other systemic signs including neurological deficits, seizures, and continued gastrointestinal problems.

With the continued vomiting he also can become quite dehydrated and his electrolytes can become severely imbalanced, leading to further illness. I will do my best to help but he with any toxicity it really is best to get the pet seen as quickly as possible, for diuresis (if needed), and to check his organs for any potential damage it may have caused.

I have a few questions before I proceed with the final recommendation.

Is he staggering when walking right now?

How long has he been vomiting?

What color are his gums?

- Dr. H