Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My daschound had a tiny lick of hair dye I have given her a

Customer Question

Hi my daschound had a tiny lick of brown hair dye I have given her a bowl of milk please help asap
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What are the ingredients in the dye?

How long ago did she lick this?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is a time sensitive situation, I will leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now I am glad she only had a bit but we do want to take some supportive care steps here since hair dye can be very irritating to the stomach and can ulcerate the GI, damage the kidneys, and affect the red blood cells.

In regards ***** ***** to do, we’d want to thoroughly flush her mouth with cool water and then you can give a bit more milk. Afterwards, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, any vomiting, belly pain, or paling of her gums and we'd want her seen urgently by her local vet for further supportive care.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )