Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My sons dog smells horrible and she bits her paws raw her

Customer Question

My sons dog smells horrible and she bits her paws raw her belly is broken out too. I read apple cider vineger should I try this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pickles
JA: How old is Pickles?
Customer: I think a little over 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pickles?
Customer: Not that we know of she was a rescue puppy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that Pickles is not feeling well.

I am not a huge proponent of using apple cider vinegar as it has not been shown to be effective in scientific study. Giving it orally (by mouth) will not help a skin infection which is what it sounds like Pickles has, and using it topically would be very painful if he has any open wounds on her paws and belly.

For her paws and belly, you could do an Epsom salt soak (at least 5-10 minutes) as long as you make sure you then rinse Pickles off completely and also dry her as well.

She should see your son's primary care veterinarian for an exam and medication to help with the infection.

If you have additional questions, please let me know.

If I have answered all of your questions, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the smell what kind of shampoo do I use on her it's bad?

Hello again, sorry for the delay in response. You likely need a medicated shampoo, but it depends on if it is a bacterial or fungal infection. Until you can get to the veterinarian's you could use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo once, or a basic shampoo from the pet store, but it will not take care of the smell completely.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble