Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 7 lb dog was neutered and had diarrhea and vomiting post

Customer Question

My 7 lb dog was neutered and had diarrhea and vomiting post procedure the vet gave him sub q fluids now 4 days later he is bruised and in so much pain he cant walk. His chest is swollen and severely bruised. His back leg doesn't work well and his front leg opposite side is sore and he will bite if we touch it. This is where the fluid went originally. Er have had blood tests and ultrasound showing cystitis and swelling. What is wrong with him? He was perfect before neuter and even wanting to go for walks after during his diarrhea. Help
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, Renee.

Can you tell me more about what was done for Norman? Did he have any x-rays done? Do you have a copy of the blood work to share?

How is he feeling on the tramadol and gabapentin?

Has the diarrhea cleared?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Renee, I'm sorry. I am unable to offer a phone call at this time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No problem having trouble with the site and my iphone. He is moving a little on the meds. He is eating some white meat chicken thats the only thing he will take. He will take a little pedalite and water. No to much. Diahrrea is better than it was originaly but stl very loose. Smells bad. Did not smell before. Maybe from the all chicken diet? He is so sore he struggles just laying down he stands and hangs his head in his bed for long periods. The meds do help him lay flat. Why is this happing? His chest is so bruised and sore. This is where gravity took the fluid. They said they only injected between 50-75ml. He was not like this begore that procedure. Even after neutor he was himself wanting to play and go outside.

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sorry you're having issues with the site.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but I will try to help you determine the cause. Most dogs do not bruise for procedures like SQ fluids and neutering, at least not to the degree that you're seeing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He had ultrasound and blood work all came back within range. No xrays at either er

Do you have a copy of the blood work to share so that I may see what was run?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no test results but it was called I-stat chem 8

Renee, I have limited knowledge about the I-stat chem 8. From what I can find on the internet, this looks like an abbreviated blood panel and my initial impression is that more blood work may be needed to get you some answers. I would be interested in know more information about clotting times since he's had so much bruising. Additionally, without being able to see what it is that the other professionals involved in your case are able to see, it makes it extremely hard for Experts to assist.

I am going to opt out at this time in hopes that another professional may have more experience with the I-stat chem 8 and know what is run on that panel and advise you of other routes you may wish to explore with your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I wish I knew more. We have had so many drs and blood work and they cant seem to figure it out