Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My poodle is doing this thing where she pants a few times

Customer Question

My poodle is doing this thing where she pants a few times then coughs or gags then acts like she is young to throw up but nothing comes out. Then she is breathing heavier than normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your poodle eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. She is an inside dog so she couldn't have gotten a hold of something outside. She did have a puperoni stick ttreat. But she gets them often. But I did try the prime rib flavored ones this time. That she hasn't had before. Do you think she just has an upset stomach.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. I'll do all I can to help. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: DINKY. SHE'S 5YRS OLD. AND WEIGHS 10LBS. OH I DID TRY TO GIVE HER A MONTHLY DOSE OF HER HEART WORM MEDICINE BUT SHE THREW IT UP. ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I'm just worried about her breathing hard. It's like she's panting hard.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dinky?
Customer: No she went just a few months ago for a check up and she was checked out healthy and doing well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is Dr.Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I"m happy to help with Dinky. Has she been to a groomer, kennel, or around other dogs recently? The cough you describes sounds similar to kennel cough. Other things can cause that type of cough as well. Does she have any lethargy or decreased appetite? How long has the cough been going on? Please let me know some additional information and then I'll be happy to offer some suggestions.