Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She ate a hosta leaf the pig had pulled off the plant. I

Customer Question

She ate a hosta leaf the pig had pulled off the plant. I broke open and gave her 4 activated charcoal capsules in a tiny bit of wet food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily and 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: I don't think so. I don't think she had time to eat a full leaf but still concerned. Read it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I will help you.

Hosta is a saponin type of plant that can cause some intestinal irritation.

It is sort of like soap in that it is irritating bur not lethal.

Toxins are dose related, so part of a leaf in a small dog would be more irritating than in a Great Dane.

How much does Lily weigh?

I'm also going to give you her dosage for 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide induces vomiting which gets rid of the hosta leaf, pills or

whatever your dog gets into. Activated charcoal is given after inducing vomiting IN SOME CASES. It all depends on what the dog ate.

Hosta leves irritate the gut and can also cause vomiting if eaten in a large

quantity. But they do not damage the liver, kidneys or nervous system like much more potent toxins can.

I asume that Lily is fine. I'd still like to give you that hydrogen peroxide dose for future reference. But I need her weight.