PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

The very small dog, less than 10 lbs. I think ate 2-3 small

Customer Question

The very small dog, less than 10 lbs. I think ate 2-3 small donuts. She seems fine now, not sure what time she ate them, could this be dangerous, if there is a reaction what would it be? Very concerened
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi Janet. We typically see vomiting and diarrhea from ingestions like this. If you do see vomiting or diarrhea, below are instructions:

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

Diarrhea should begin to clear with the increased fiber in the food.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours. If diarrhea is an issue, metronidazole or a similar antibiotic may be prescribed by Lola's vet.

If you see any blood in the vomit or stool, intestinal cramping, vocalization while defecating, etc. I would urge you to see your vet sooner than later, overnight if needed.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.