Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He was lethargic before I went to work, and he was having a

Customer Question

He was lethargic before I went to work, and he was having a hard time pooping this morning....after he pooped he acted like he still had to poop but couldn't. Now it looks like he has been licking his butt hole all day while I have been at work. We have no money for vet right now so trying to figure out what to do. He is a miniature dachshund.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dachshund. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Carter and he is 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carter?
Customer: In December he had invertabrae disc disease
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that Carter isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

is he still eating and drinking ok?
otherwise acting normal?
is he licking or scooting at all?
any current illness or meds?