Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

6 week old pup got t in head 3 days ago cried and fussed

Customer Question

6 week old pup got hit in head 3 days ago cried and fussed plus threw up for about 3 hours then started nursing eating and playing but not pooping now tried to poop and only a little hard piece came out and she's just running around crazy and yipping problem is I'm in an area in Mexico that nearest vet about 12 hours away what can I do to get her to poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cream sodai the noise distressing her mother and litter mates
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No just got hit by a kid with a stick on back of head
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Is the pup eating dogfood as well as nursing?

Have you checked the puppies rectum to make sure there's nothing crusted there?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is nothing crusted on her bottom but now she is drooling and snapping at me and her mother and litter mates when she does poo she runs around crazy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is eating dry and canned food
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

For tonight, you could try a little canned pumpkin...not pumpkin pie filling, just plain canned pumpkin. You could give her a couple tablespoons.

The fiber in there should get things moving in the right direction. However, if she still hasn't defecated normally by morning, then you should absolutely give your vet a call and have them take a peek at her before the long weekend sets in.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vet over12 hours away or I would have taken her to vet already she actually pooded 5 times since first time I contacted you but now can't have anyone get close to her as she's aggressive
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

What breed of dog is she?

Is there any chance she could have gotten into anything unusual?

Can you pinpoint what triggers the aggression?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No she couldn't of got into anything she was hit in the head 2 days ago and you just have to get near her and she tries to bite
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

It's unlikely that the blow to the head has anything to do with the constipation...however, it could have something to do with the aggression you're seeing now.

Sometimes if the head gets hit hard enough, it can cause swelling in the brain, which can change the personality of the dog. And unfortunately, often that is a change to the aggressive like you're seeing in your dog.

Since she got hit 2 days ago, and is still showing signs of a problem, I absolutely think having her seen by a vet is the best thing to do. If this is a head injury causing this behavior, they'll be able to get her on some medication to help with the swelling and get her back to normal.

I understand that you're 12 hours from a vet, but since she is so young and is acting so aggressive, I think it's worth a drive in to see what is going on in her head.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually no as I'm on a humanitary trip to Mexico and have no transport until Saturday was trying to save pups life
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

I'll go ahead and opt out maybe someone else has some answers.