PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a tiny chihuahua 8 weeks old, she refuses to eat or

Customer Question

I have a tiny chihuahua 8 weeks old, she refuses to eat or drink. Had her to the vet and she was hypoglycemic. IV's got her blood sugar back to normal, however she still will not eat. She is otherwise healthy, except a slight open on fontelle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She acts like she wants nurse an older dog I have in the house.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Vatania
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

What foods are being offered?

Have you tried placing some directly into her mouth?

Did your vet supply you with a product called Nutrical?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been giving her can food with milk replacer in a syringe. 3cc every three hours. No they did not give nutrical.

I would ask for nutrical. This supplement has helped probably millions of chihuahuas and other small breed dogs through problems like this. It is nutritionally dense and also meant to keep their blood sugar up. https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-nutri-cal-oral-gel-dog/dp/109764?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Vetoquinol&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhtO7BRCtwuO9gfTH-fQBEiQAdJ8FY7zQZo08JDswYBzzQWBGJ0eWbcB3THMbUIYsuGDtZvMaAlM-8P8HAQ

I would also try offering some chicken baby food that is pureed and she if she is interested in that.

If you're planning to talk to your vet about nutrical, I would also request a few cans of Hill's A/D or a similar diet that's calorie dense.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.