Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Is throwing up and it looks like he ate the orange stuff

Customer Question

Hi is throwing up and it looks like he ate the orange stuff that falls of the palm tree..this must be poisonous or carry a parasite?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: He threw it up, I did not see what he ate, but he recently had a parasite that hurt his immune system. He was fine for 2 weeks and now it looks like he ate 3 of those orange things as that is what came up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no - we just spent $800 lat month on now it looks like he ate something. It also looks like he threw up foam
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are certain parts of certain palm trees that can be toxic but as long as your guy vomited most of this, that is a good sign. The next thing to do is to follow up with activated charcoal that can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter at a dose of 2 gm per kg of his weight every 8 hrs. Because this causes a digestive disturbance, follow these instructions:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean him back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dog to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta