PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I took my dog to the vet said it was a slip disc he's 8

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet said it was a slip disc he's 8 years old surgery is 5 to 7,000 dollars can't afford that he has feeling in his legs they was wanting me to put him to sleep he's eating drinking water and that's something I can't do is there another way.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

1) Did they take any x-rays?
2) Did they place Charlie on any meds? If so, what?
3) What are his symptoms? pain? inability to use his legs?
4) When did this occur?
5) Is he still able to urinate and defecate?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No x rays put him on pain meds he take once a day has feeling in his legs can't stand it occurred two weeks ago still able to use the bathroom.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Take him out when I come in from work

Sometimes using pain medication along side NSAIDs and muscle relaxers will give dogs the use of their legs again, but not all the time. In fact, once they're not using them, it's more likely that they won't walk again without surgery.

That being said, if you can't afford surgery you may be able to afford a wheelchair for him to support the new handicap. Since he can still use the bathroom, you would be able to take him out in the chair and allow him to go without needing to express him manually. It would certainly be a change for you both, but could potentially give him the quality of life back without needing to invest a few grand in surgical expenses.

This is not an uncommon concern in beagles, but we see it the most often in dachshunds. I would scour the internet for more information on how to get through this based on other's experiences if you wish not to use a wheelchair. The condition that he has is known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease.

It would also not be a bad idea to try some additional oral therapies to see if they benefit him at all, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Wheelchairs here: http://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustable-dog-wheelchairs

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's possible the prednisone he's taking once a day might help him walk again.

Prednisone isn't for pain specifically. But it can seriously help with inflammation, if that is part of the problem. I would keep this up, but also talk to your vet about using methocarbomol and possibly something like tramadol for discomfort if there is pain also involved.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How will I know he's in pain because he doesn't show it at all he's eating drinking pulling himself and taking the medicine

Most often they will show discomfort either through random vocalization or whining. It's also usually evident on exam, but this all depends on how much sensation he's lost. Some dogs lose so much that they're unable to feel anything past a certain point in their back and, at that point, pain meds aren't usually needed.

Checking in, JACustomer. Did you have any other questions I could answer for you about IVDD or the wheelchairs?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie Brown. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy