Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Blood shot eye, looks like she may have a cataract or

Customer Question

blood shot eye, looks like she may have a cataract or glaucoma (it's milky)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sabrina, Cocker Spaniel almost 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sabrina?
Customer: no, other than the eye issue she is her normal self. She is also pretty much deaf, but that's not new.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

A cataract is an opacity of the lens which is apparent in the pupil - the normally black dot in the middle of the colored iris. The eye isn't bloodshot ("red"). Glaucoma, however, stretches the cornea - the clear window of the eye - which then inflames and clouds it. Glaucoma causes a "red" eye. This is painful; a cataract isn't painful. The pupil is most often mydriatic (larger than normal) when glaucoma is present. Cocker spaniels are over-represented with glaucoma as a breed.

A cataract is rarely an emergency situation. Glaucoma is, however, because the increased intraocular pressure will blind my patient quickly by killing the optic nerve. Time is of the essence. Any dog suspected of suffering from glaucoma needs to see a vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.