Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

I have a 14 year old boxer. She started flopping around on

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old boxer. She started flopping around on the vloor at 5:00am and her eyes were darting back and forth or flickering. I picked her up and put her back on her bard and she started flopping around like she was having a seizure. I thought she was dying. My son pet her and calmed her down and she eventually stopped flickering her eyes and convusing. I just had cancer surgery and am so afraid it is going to happen again tonight. What can I do for her. She just had ner shots and check up 3 weeks ago is is a healthy old dog with arthritus tumors etc.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She does have tumors one on her ear lob and the vet found one on her neck but she is too old to operate on any more. We just had seven tumors taken out 8 months ago thoughout her body.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your dog isn't feeling well. let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.
How is she acting now?
has she every had a seizure before?
is she eating or drinking?
have you had any of the tumors aspirated to know what they are?
any other illness or meds other then that?
recent bloodwork?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is acting normally. Yes she has had smaller episodes a couple months ago.. She is eating and drinking. She just went to the vet three weeks ago and she was ok?
She has lost alot of weight lately but I figured that was due to her age.

do you know what type of tumors she has? just trying to see if there is any correlation...

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. My great dane has seizures and I know how scary it can be when it happens. As far as seizures go, the first step is getting bloodwork done to make sure there isn't an obvious reason that could be causing the seizures. typically we do not treat seizures unless they are occurring more then 3 in a month, multiples in a day, or one that is lasting longer then 3 min (the actual part of the seizure is when they aren't responsive to their name, once they are responsive even a little bit, then that is post seizure).
the reason why we don't treat is because in a dog that is on medication, we would consider a dog having less then three a mo controlled. so if your dog isn't having it that frequently then we wouldn't do medication unless the frequency increases or the other reasons that i mentioned.
typical medications we use now are zonisamide, keppra, bromides, but your vet can talk to you about the pros/cons of each if it comes to that.
as for when she has a seizure, you want to do a few things to keep yourself and her as safe as possible. First, make sure she isn't near any steps that she could fall down until she is 100% coherent and walking normal (usually a few hours after seizure). during the seizure, you want to keep your hands away from the mouth as they are not in control and may accidentally bite due to the convulsions. you take your forearm and place it firmly across her neck with the one arm and put gentle pressure on her neck and her back end so that she doesn't fall off or roll onto anything. you can talk softly to her until it is over. then you will want to protect her from stairs and other furniture or things she could fall off of a few hours after until she is normal. you can give her a small meal (a few pieces of kibble) after once she is back to normal as can use a lot of glucose during a seizure. but for the most part you are just keeping her comfortable and yourself and her safe when it happens.
there really isn't a way to prevent seizures other then trying to decrease stress as much as possible because they can perpetuate a seizure.

if she continues to have multiple in a day or the current one lasts longer then 3-4 min then take her in to ER so they can give her medication IV to stop them.

Does that answer your questions completely? Did you have anything additional that I can help you with?
If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

just checking in, how is your baby doing today? did I answer everything completely for you?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jennifer Welsh