Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

My Cavachon Was groomed last week and she had her anal glans

Customer Question

My Cavachon Was groomed last week and she had her anal glans cleaned. Now she is twisting her behind sideways. She bites at her hind leg and is itching. It's as if she's possessed at times as she will totally run around and itch. There are no fleas. There at no hot spots or open rash.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr. Brink. Can I ask you a few more clarifying questions so that I can try help you with your Cavachon?

What is her name? When did you notice the symptoms start? Are they getting worse? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bella is almost 10 years old. She eats and drinks as usual. We live in southern Calif and it has been Hot. Symptoms have been Since June 15th after grooming. At least the twisting sideways. She was itching before that for a few days. Her glands were a little full.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She seemed to be itching more after groomed. She has used special shampoo in the past for itching from her vet. Hylyt Shanpoo

Thank you for the additional information about Bella! I will do my best to give you some more information based on what you are describing. Most groomers will do external anal gland expression, and that may not always empty the gland completely. She may need them checked by a veterinary nurse (also known as a veterinary technician) to see if the anal glands are completely empty or not. Sometimes anal glands can become infected or impacted and that can also cause these symptoms.

I have also seen similar symptoms in patients with a bit of razor burn around the sensitive skin on the rear end which can cause a lot of itching and sometimes becomes infected! I have also seen these symptoms in patients that have some intestinal parasites. They can cause an itchy feeling for some dogs.

Does this information help you? Can I answer any further questions about Bella for you?

If this information has given you the answer that you were looking for, please kindly rate me. If not, don't hesitate to contact me again about Bella. I wish you and her all the best. Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an urgent call. How long will razor burn last? I gave her a bath with medicated shampoo. And she seem ok initially.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't feel we finished our conversation. I was too distracted. I just got some sad news.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello? :(
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Our session was interrupted
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dr. M Brink