PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She has been having diarrhea after stay at kennel. took her

Customer Question

she has been having diarrhea after stay at kennel. took her to vet and she ended up having worms. she was put on powder for a few days... and she started having diarrhea again yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lady 11 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?
Customer: a week in between last episode and yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Any change in diet? treats?
2) Any human food?
3) What worms were diagnosed?
4) What is the name of the medication given?
5) Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She ended up having hook worms and was put on powder for 5 days
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No change in diet. No human food.
no vomiting

Stress may have played a role in her original diarrhea. It's also plausible that she could have consumed another dog's food by accident (sometimes kibble gets scattered on the ground as we're taking dogs outside to potty), if the kennel is setup in such a manner. I, personally, would blame stress and assume that the hookworms may just be a lucky finding.

Diarrhea this time around may be due to the fact that she's on meds and being treated. That should clear in a few days. I'd go ahead and use a bland diet with her to see if this helps. You can move her to a bland diet of boiled rice and chicken breast for a few days to clear the diarrhea and then slowly move her back to her regular food once the stool is formed again and treatment is over.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there was a week where she had no diarrhea after the medication. She has been off the meds an entire week.

In this case, I would recommend having her fecal rechecked to ensure that treatment was successful. Unless stress continues to play a role for her, there should be no reason for her to still have diarrhea.

Checking in, how is Lady feeling today?