PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is pooping blood and mucus and throwing up her food

Customer Question

She is pooping blood and mucus and throwing up her food should we call the after hours vet doctor and take her to them asap or wait til in the morn?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did The eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing out of the norm
JA: How old is The?
Customer: 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: Not really she was eating grass earlier
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, JACustomer.

It would be ideal to contact the ER vet. Dogs who are passing blood can become critical very quickly. Many dogs will do just fine waiting until morning, but some will pass away from these symptoms. For this reason, I would err on the side of caution and contact the vet this evening to have her seen.

It's very possible that she has a condition known as HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) which is causing her to pass blood. More information here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-in-dogs/764

They will likely want to run blood work, start her on IV fluids and give medication to help stop the vomiting. Depending on her presentation, they may recommend other diagnostics as well.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.