Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 12 year old golden retriever is breathing rapidly at

Customer Question

My 12 year old golden retriever is breathing rapidly at rest. She has been doing this for the last few years, but it seems to be more often now. SHe is also suffering from mammary cancer and has an abdominal tumor since last fall. However, she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of distress. She is eating regularly, is very responsive, and happy to go on her short walks around teh block. I'm not sure how concerned I should be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Golden Retriever. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If you check her gums, do they look pink or pale to you?

Do you know if the abdominal tumor is on her spleen? Has she had a chest Xray recently?

One concern is that one of these tumors, the abdominal tumor or the mammary cancer, has spread to her lungs. A chest xray would tell you that.

Other possible causes of rapid breathing are fever, anemia (low red blood cells), fluid in her lungs, heart disease, heartworm, and pain. I would be concerned, and if her gums appear pale rather than bright pink, I would be concerned enough to get a chest Xray as soon as possible.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and if this is helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent; I did not hear back from you. How is she doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I've been checking her gums regularly and they have been consistently bubble gum pink. And if the tumor has spread to her lungs, what would we do? I don't want to put her through any extreme treatments.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

It is a good sign her gum are pink. If the tumor has spread to the lungs, you would have the option of talking to an oncologist about your options.

If her breathing continues to be rapid, taking a chest Xray would not just tell you if the tumor have spread, it would give information about her heart and lungs, if there is fluid in her lungs, etc.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I did not hear back from you. How is she doing? Can I answer any other questions?