Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
94581128

My dog is having what appears to be painful spasms in her

Customer Question

My dog is having what appears to be painful spasms in her digestive system. This has happened in the past when she ate canned food, but since we switched her to a homemade diet 2 years ago, it has not happened. This time, it started shortly after we got home from a vet visit that was very stressful for her as they tried to express her bladder and were unable to. Could this be something like colitis or IBS? And what can I do for her? I have not fed her since last night and have kept her contained in her playpen to try to minimize the possibility of her hurting herself (she also has IVDD). Suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Brink. I am sorry to hear about your dog having some trouble!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I should also mention that she spent the weekend with family as I had to be gone and fireworks have started in my town, which she is very afraid of, so those were two additional stressors. I don't know if that factors in or not.

There are a large number of things that can cause symptoms like what you are describing. It could be stress, pain, ingestion of something they shouldn't, pancreatitis, or even referred back pain. As your local vet knows the specifics of her case, I would recommend that you call them to discuss your concerns and they may be able to offer some appropriate treatment for her, depending on the underlying cause. Limiting activity and offering many small bland meals may help as well.

Do you have any questions about my suggestions? Does it make sense?

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Otherwise, if you could kindly rate me that is appreciated. I truly wish you and your dog all the best. Take care!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Feeding her seems to make her feel worse, so I am hesitant to give her any food at this point. She seems to have more pain when she is about to have a bowel movement, but then feels better temporarily afterward.

How long has it been since she has eaten? Are you bowel movements normal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She ate last night around 10pm. Her bowel movements seem normal.

Without examining her in person, it is impossible to be certain, but this makes me wonder if it causes her pain to posture to defecate. She could also have pain around her rectum (with a mass or an anal gland issue).

How are her drinking habits?

If her drinking habits are normal, that is great! If they are not, try to get some water in her so that she doesn't become dehydrated. You can do that by making a slurry of canned food, or by slowly and carefully syringing it into her mouth.

It is still my recommendation that you call your regular care veterinarian to talk more about her specific case. She may need some medications or special diet to help her feel better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know.

Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. M. Brink