Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Our son's soon to be ten year old St. Bernard threw up on s

Customer Question

Our son's soon to be ten year old St. Bernard threw up on his walk and then tripped over a curb when we were crossing the street. He fell to the ground and wouldn't get up for a few minutes. We finally got him up and he was able to walk up the driveway to the house (fortunately he did this right across the street from our house). He is now resting comfortably and seems okay. My son said that he did this about a month ago when he was taking him for a walk. He just had his six month check-up and the vet said all was well. Any ideas as to what this might be and do we need to get him to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really. He's always been happy and healthy! He gets excited for his walks and usually does well. He still chases other dogs by the fence(when we let him!)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your St. Bernard. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Falling to the ground and not getting up for awhile could be serious. It could be his heart; it could be a neurologic problem, even a type of seizure; it could be muscle weakness; it could be orthopedic (joint or bone problem). If it happens again, I would immediately look at his gums to see if they are a normal bright pink or if they look pale; if the gums are pale when he is down this might be a heart problem, not enough blood and oxygen circulating.

Weakness can be from electrolyte imbalances (sodium, potassium), muscle disease, arthritis.

So, many things could cause this. Were any blood tests done when he was checked out 6 months ago? Is he on heartworm preventative?

I would start by having him checked out again; a 10 year old St Bernard is an old dog, and a lot could change in 6 months. If blood tests were not done then, I would consider having some basic blood tests done.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent; I did not hear back from you. How is he doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?