Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog just recently was diagnosed with SARDS. s eyes are

Customer Question

Hi! My dog just recently was diagnosed with SARDS. His eyes are now painful and he won't keep them open. My ophthalmologist prescribed Flurbiprofen when we thought he was eligible for cataract surgery. I discontinued use and now his eyes are painful. My regular vet prescribed Neo Poly Dex until the ophthalmologist can see him. Can they be used at the same time?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Junior, he is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Junior?
Customer: he is recently diagnosed as diabetic as well
JA: I'm sorry Junior has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you. FLurbiprofen is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug, or "NSAID". The "Dex" in NeoPolyDex is a steroid type anti inflammatory. In general, non-steroidals and steroids are not recommended for use together, as this may increase the risk of side effects. However, this is generally more of an issue when used "systemically" - via pills or injections, and I would not anticipate topical use in the eye to create a similar risk.

As long as the medicines seem to be helping, I don't see a problem in continuing, but I would definitely recommend a re-evaluation by the ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an appt at the ophthalmologist as soon as he could see him. I was only giving Neo Poly Dex since Friday but his eyes seem painful so I wanted to switch to Flurbiprofen. He does not want to open them and when he does, his third eyelid is showing. My regular vet did not know how to help me further after she got the pressure down with NPD.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 months ago.

If the pressure is elevated, then an anti glaucoma drug is needed, such as Dorzolamide, Latanoprost, or others... If high pressure has been confirmed in the eye, then one of those drugs or equivalent needs to be started right away.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew