Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has a pink bump on the side of one of s toes. It

Customer Question

my dog has a pink bump on the side of one of his toes. It appeared two days ago. it doesn't look infected - it is pink n to red. He does lick it at times so the topic a bit raw, but still pink and not passing. I have been applying neosporin since Saturday. He still is running and playing? can you help. He had the same thing in Dec and we spent $500. to the vet and really don't want to do that again, if we don't have to. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is almost 7 years old, australian shepherd. He is my heart dog!
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: he has always licked his paws, unfortunately too! He is very healthy and active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Jack
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

So you've only been using the Neosporin for about 2 days?

Does he mind things on his feet?

Does he ever chew at this feet in general?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He doesn't mind me applying the neosporin. But he would not want anything on his feet. He does lick his paws & bite his pads on occasion.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also emailed pics and attached my case #
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Okay....great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

You are absolutely on the right track here with the Neosporin. This type of topical antibiotic is often used for these kinds of issues....I would just ask that you modify a couple things.

First...I would wash and dry that area with a gentle soap (I like using human baby shampoo because it's non-drying and doesn't sting so most dogs don't mind it being used on an open area) and then rinse and pat it dry. Once it's mostly dry, you can apply that Neosporin in a thin layer and then try distracting him for 10-15 minutes, so that it has a chance to sink in and really get to work.

I would do the washing and medication 2-3 times a day. If this is going to clear it up, you should see an improvement within 2-3 more days. If you don't, then you may need to have the vet take a peek, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
did you see the pictures i sent?
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

No...the pictures didn't come through on this end. There should be a paperclip icon on your end that will help attach the photos.