Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

He has tapeworms. I have m Seargent's Sure shot 2x yesterday

Customer Question

He has tapeworms. I have him Seargent's Sure shot 2x yesterday and them found out it does not treat tapeworms. The vet does not have an opening for him until after the July 4th holiday and I would like to treat this sooner. I was up all night researching online (not the best thing to do, I know but it's all I had at my access) and came across Safe Guard de-wormer. I can buy it at a local TSC but I am terrified that giving this to him the day after Sure Shot will hurt him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a 16 lb boston terrier named Max. He turned 11 in February.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No, this is the only issue we have had with him since we got him at 6 weeks old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Tapeworms typically show as small, rice like segments that are mobile or dried up around the rectum or on the stools. Treatment for tapeworms is typically best done with a drug called praziquantel based on body weight parameters. The pyratel pamoate in the Seargent's Sure shot 2X does not treat tapeworms. There are many dewormers that have a combination of pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel in them. If he was to come into my ER with tapeworms with this history of that medication the day before, I wouldn't hesitate to deworm him for confirmed tapeworms with a pyrantel pamoate dosing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

That is what his worms look like. The dewormer that I have access to is a combo that also treats for round worm and hook worm which he was treated for yesterday. Will it hurt him to give the combo med to him today?

A second dose of a dewormer this soon out of that combination shouldn't be a problem. It contains fenbendazole which isn't going to interact with it.

Here is a good link on the most common tapeworm - Dipilidium caninum.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=562

Fenbendazole works on the tapeworm Taenia - which is gotten from eating mice and such. The typical tapeworm is the Dipilydium, which is got through eating fleas, and this is treated with praziquantel.

Here is a link on the other type of tapeworm.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1845