PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is a 13 year old lab. Panting, wont eat or drink,

Customer Question

She is a 13 year old lab. Panting, wont eat or drink, vomiting, and can not walk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is our family baby, when do we know it is time for her to be put down?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

1) When did these symptoms begin, JACustomer?

2) Did she have any exertion today? Too much playing? Out in the heat for an extended period of time?

3) Do you notice any distention to her abdomen?

4) Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
boated tummy. No play today at all. The last week she has been slowing down a lot.

We can expect a dog of her age to be slowing down and if she's not already on arthritis medication, arthritis could certainly play a role in that.

However, we must look at her symptoms right now. If she has a bloated abdomen and she's vomiting, this is reason for great concern and she needs to be examined this evening. She could potentially be in the throes of a medical anomaly known as gastric dilatation volvulus which is absolutely a medical emergency that cannot wait for morning.

To answer your question specific to this concern, if her life is going to be greatly shortened or the quality of life lessened because of how she's feeling now--it's time to put her down. However, if she's unwell and can easily be helped, then doing so would be recommended. Her quality of life is what this comes down to.

I typically recommend that owners think back to when their dogs were young. I then recommend choosing 10 things that the dog loved to do like eating, car rides, playing fetch, etc. When you consider her now, if you're down to only 5 things from that list that she can do you need to consider euthanasia. When you're down to 2-3 on the list, it's time.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Good morning, JACustomer. How is your girl feeling today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy