Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

She is a 7 month doberman and has been over excited/anxious.

Customer Question

She is a 7 month doberman and has been over excited/anxious. The end result is lots of jumping and biting to get attention. I need to quieten her as my husband is terminally ill and has chosen to die at home. I believe she is picking up on my emotions. I have Diazepam 5mg in the house
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Doberman's name?
Customer: Her weight is currently 33Kg
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Doberman?
Customer: She is healthy, fit and has a regular monthly vet check. She is also barking a lot at anything and everything the last 2 or 3 days
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

I would not give the Diazepam. Although it is often used in veterinary medicine, one thing we worry about is a paradoxical reaction...meaning that instead of calming the dog down, it can actually exacerbate the behaviors, making her more anxious and distressed.

Instead, if there is a friend who can keep her over night until you can call your normal vet and ask about them sending out an appropriate sedative, or if she uses a kennel in the house, you could contain her in the kennel.

When you call the vet tomorrow (or if they're open today, you could give them a call today) explain the situation and why you'd like the sedation. I'm positive they'll be able to send out something to help you keep her calm so that she's not something else you need to be worried about at this difficult time.

I hope this helps.