Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

I just got home from being away weekend and my dog has a few

Customer Question

I just got home from being away for a long weekend and my dog has a few areas on her behind and tail that are bald and scabbing and one is bleeding. I thought it could be fleas since she was due for her trifexis but I gave it to her yesterday and the spots have only gotten worse
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: That is all THANK YOU
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Your initial suspicion, is probably correct -- This sounds like a classic case of Flea Allergic Dermatitis. Just like when we get bitten by a mosquito, the itching continues long after the bite is over. Flea bites remain itchy for many days or weeks beyond the bite.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything I can do to help the itch so the scabs stop bleeding/don't get worse ?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 months ago.

So, the usual treatment is cortisone. Typically by injection or pills, but sometimes a topical cream may be useful. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone cream over the affected areas, but I would recommend seeing a veterinarian if there's no improvement within 24 hours.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 months ago.

In cases where excessive scratching has led to infection, antibiotics are also necessary.