Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 45 pound sttfordshire terrier got into a bottle of

Customer Question

My 45 pound sttfordshire terrier got into a bottle of Lexapro on the table and ate 3 10 mg pills does she need to see a vet. She seems fine and is laying by the window
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: the terrier is 1 year old and excessively active she weigh about 45 pounds
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Her name is Lilly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?
Customer: She just is extremely agile and has unbounding energy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat these?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is quite a serious situation, I will post my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply.

Now this is a drug that we do use in dogs; but if she has had 3 then this is a serious overdose. In fact, this dose could cause such adverse signs as lethargy, wobbliness, tremors, vocalizations, and possible neurological signs including seizures.

If she has this less then 2 hours ago, we can induce vomiting just now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, if you don’t have access to the above or struggle with this above, then we’d want to have her seen urgently so her vet can do the above +/- start IV fluids to flush this drug out and avoid any harm for her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )