Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Our 12 year old had some sort of event when we returned home

Customer Question

Our 12 year old ***** ***** had some sort of event when we returned home we found him lying in vomit and the whites of his eyes beet red. He has seen a vet and given 2 treatments of plasma. It has been one week and his blood is not clotting. He is lethargic and wobbles. It appears like he has had a stroke or aneurism. He is a different dog now with no memory or signs of things he used to know. It has been an extremely difficult time to see our baby like this and we are hopeful but realistic. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. Are they checking his clotting times with an in-house PT / aPTT test to see what clotting values are? So they've placed an IV catheter and given two units of fresh frozen plasma IV? When did this happen? Is he on any other medications at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two times on clotting. After first plasma treatment still no clotting but the second plasma treatment clotting times back to normal. We took him in Wednesday and back to no clotting and they said his clotting time over 200. This whole event has been within the last 10 days. He is on antibiotic, steroid and appetite stimulant. He has appt tomorrow but I just feel like I need another opinion. I feel like he is a number and because he is 12 expect the worst
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He appears to have brain damage

Do they have a reason / suspicion why the clotting values keep going up? Do they feel that he's having liver problems? Do they feel that he got into some anti-coagulant? Have they started any vitamin K to help with clotting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No suspicion on the clotting and no to vitamin k. What could he have gotten into at home that would be an anti coagulant
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would that affect his brain. He really behaves like he is brain damaged

If clotting values are elevated, the most common reasons for it are severe liver disease or eating of a mouse / rat poison that has a vitamin K antagonist in it. Clotting times can be elevated from a heat stroke situation or something else that causes a consumption of the clotting factors, but these situations are typically extremely serious very quickly and they don't make it. Could he have brain damage? That is very possible. If he was not clotting well, then there is the chance that he bled into the brain and this caused injury due to that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a treatment other than what he is on that you would begin. He is an inside dog and leash walked so the likelihood of him getting rat poison or eating foreign object is slim. What is your prognosis for him. Obviously clotting times need to get back to normal but we don't want to do plasma once a week either. Can he survive this much longer. He doesn't appear to be in any pain and we wouldn't want that. This has been devastating to our family

I can understand the frustration that you and your family are going through with this. Getting an answer to why the clotting values are elevated needs to be found. If the liver itself is the possible issue, then maybe an ultrasound of it needs to be done to assess what is going on there. Starting vitamin K1 is something that easily enough can be started up to help with clotting times.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. If you know of anything else I would appreciate that input. We will make sure to check liver and start vitamin k

This is one of those situations where one consideration is a possible referral to a specialist in your area to let them review the record and see what else may be done. I'm hoping for the best for this guy!