Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog keeps on panting seconds like he's catching s breath

Customer Question

hi my dog keeps on panting for few seconds like he's catching his breath and then lcking the floor
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: my dog keeps on panting lke he's over heating but then he starts licking the everything
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: hes never done that
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: its only started few min ago
JA: How is your dog behaving differently?
Customer: just a lot of panting
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: and licking
JA: How old is Licking?
Customer: not sure of the age
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Licking?
Customer: that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
lip licking no vomiting. gums are pink and normal.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no discomfort or tenderness and I don't know if he has eaten anything.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gave him a piece of breath but he's licking his lips and swallowing
no more panting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
42
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any other questions?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I am actually in the midst of typing my reply & will post shortly.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your patience,

Now while that breathing rate is elevated, those pink gums support good oxygenation here. Therefore, we’d be less concerned about actual breathing issues and suspect this elevation is related to stress or discomfort. And since licking floors and lip licking are common nausea signs in dogs, I’d be suspicious of a low grade gut ache even without vomiting here.

With that in mind, you can try to counter this and settle his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing (ie gut infections, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretions, etc). Still, as his signs are mild and those gums are pink, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no...he is still panting, ....he is not licking and swallowing like he was.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I am not surprised that he is. It suggests that he still is being affected by the underlying issue from this and that its likely a stress/discomfort sign even if he isn't licking like he was. So, we'd still treat to see if we can get him settled and that rate back down to <30 breaths per minute.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you get the rate back down to 30 per min?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

By treating the suspect stressor, in this cause the nausea that sounds to be lurking here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.