Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog seems a bit restless and won't lie down, He seems to

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: My dog seems a bit restless and won't lie down
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He seems to be a bit restless for the last hour
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He seems not to want to lay down
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hercules and 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hercules?
Customer: Mm no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Hercules. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 2 - 3 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Hercules restlessness is certainly a concern, but as I'm sure you can probably appreciate, there are quite a range of possible causes for his behavior tonight. We need to consider everything from this just being a behavioral change due to nervousness or anxiety, to early gastroenteritis or a musculoskeletal issue (hence he doesn't want to lay down), to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything he could have gotten into), to an internal organ issue and many other possibilities here. If you can, keep him as calm and quiet as possible. Make sure he has plenty of water available and encourage him to drink. You can also offer him some of his regular food now as well. Because there are a wide range of possible causes for his symptoms, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think your boy could have a stomach upset or is nauseous, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid . Best of luck with Hercules and hopefully he settles in the next hour or so. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.