Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MYy dog has been panting and walking constantly. He also

Customer Question

MYy dog has been panting and walking constantly for hours. He also threw up earlier. He is drinking water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What did her vomit look like? Any diarrhea?

Can she keep that water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hE FINALLY FELL ASLEEP AFTER FIVE HOURS OF WALKING AND PANTING CONSTANTLY,BUT WORK THREE HOURS LATER TO DO THE SAME THING. HE JUST STOPPED BUT HIS HEART WAS GOING VERY FAST. HIS BELLY SEEMS OKAY. hIS GUMS ARE REAL RED AND GUMS SEEM FINE. i DONT THINK HE ATE ANYTHING BUT DID THROW UP CHICKEN AND WHIE FOMEY STUFF. HE DID THAT ABOUT 9 TIMES BUT ONLY ALITTLE AFTER THROWING UP THE CHICKEN.HIS BREATHING IS ABOUT 120 I THINK.HE JUST WENT OUTSIDE AND I THINK HE HAD A BOWL MOVEMENT BUT ITS DARK AND I DONT KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HE IS LAYING NEAR ME NOW AND NOT PANTING
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Are they usually this red?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I DONT KNOW
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if you are not sure about his normal gum color, we will need to monitor this. Red is usually fine, but very red is sometimes a finding with bacterial infections of the bloodstream. So, we need to tread with care.

With that aside for the moment, I’d note that all these signs alongside vomiting suggest a severe gut upset (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, ingestion of harmful items, etc) or possible pancreatitis.

With this all in mind, since as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but his signs together are most suspicious of severe gut discomfort or pancreatitis. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t settle to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gut safe pain relief, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

nekovet