Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She seems uncomfortable and keeps scooting backwards in a

Customer Question

She seems uncomfortable and keeps scooting backwards in a lying position just not acting her normal self
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seems uncomfortable and keeps scooting backwards in a lying position just not acting her normal self
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It just seems like she is favoring her hind legs
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No nothing on her feet
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sammie and she is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammie?
Customer: Nothing I can think of they did say the last time she had an X-ray it looked like her cartridge was starting to have issues in her back that was about 6 months ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Sammie's scooting backwards in a lying position is a curious symptom unless she's trying to rise but is having difficulty doing so. This would be consistent, however, with favoring of her hind legs which might be seen with a spinal problem such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") as was alluded to 6 months ago after reviewing her X-rays. Which breed is Sammie, please?

Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in his back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Sammie's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about Sammie's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), she'll need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?