PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He yelps if you go to pick m up and touch near s belly it

Customer Question

He yelps if you go to pick him up and touch near his belly it feels very bloated like he could be constipated I just found out my husband shared cheese sticks with him a day or so ago idk if this is the cause he's fine unless u go to pick him up his belly is bothering him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mojo and he's 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mojo?
Customer: No not really he's in good health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. We have no large animals Vets on at this time, but I will try to help. We need to get the calf up if possible form a sling out of a sheet and put it under the calf toget it standing. I am concerned if allowed to suckle laying down, it may aspirate the milk. Provide a bottle of colostrum to supply an immediate source of energy. It may take up to two hours for the calf to stand, so giving some energy with the colostrum will help. You will need to get the colostrum into him and helping him up with support he hopefull will support himself once you get him going.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Idk what you are answering my question was about my chihuahua
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Helloo I hope the calf is doing well but I asked a question about my chihuahua
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Carrie. I'm sorry about the confusion with the response from Joan. It looks like she may have been responding to a different question and it posted here.

It sounds like Mojo may well have a GI upset from receiving cheese. There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If he wishes to avoid eating, wait until morning and offer the chicken and rice again. If he is not greatly improved by Monday morning, I would have him examined by your veterinarian.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.