Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

There was a comment made that if a dog is licking old sheets

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. There was a comment made that if a dog is licking old sheets there is a slim chance he or she could be craving some kind of mineral. What type of mineral could the dog be craving?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Every night during bed time my small dog like to cuddle under or near me but like to lick near, on or under where im sleeping. I hate feeling these large wet cold spots in the bedding on the sheets, spread or pillows while sleeping. By the way my dog is a Chihuahua 2 and a half years old and a rescue a year ago. He was found on the street near death during winter. Body was nearly emaciated and we took him in and nursed him to health again. We worry about his nutrition intake, and if hes getting hat he needs.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: I have a female same breed but mixed. She chews her feet and scratches her ears a lot and notice the boy dog is starting to do the same. Could they both be lacking minerals?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Some dogs will lick various objects when they are lacking specific minerals. Often licking everything is a sign of stomach upset or even seizure activity. However, licking and sucking on sheets and blankets are usually a sign that a dog has been taken away from their mother too soon. It becomes a way for them to calm themselves. In a lot of cases, the dog is actually suckling the material which is why it is wet.

If you are concerned that your dogs may not be getting the necessary vitamins and minerals from their diet, you might get some nutrical from your pet store or vet and use that to supplement their diet and be sure they are not suffering nutritionally.

Now the chewing of the other dog's feet and scratching does concern me as that can be a sign of allergies or even mites. Some mites are contagious. Your vet can do a skin scraping to determine if mites are a problem and treat appropriately. Allergies is a little more difficult to pin down since a dog can be allergic to anything. It might be to a food item, treat, cleaning supply or even trees or grass pollens or shampoos. Thyroid imbalances can also lead to paw chewing. Benadryl can be given to a dog for allergies at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. That may help with any allergy symptoms she has.

Dogs often get a dermatitis as a result of the scratching and licking associated with an allergy. Often this is a yeast dermatitis and can lead to ear infections and yeast dermatitis between the toes. You can try some miconazole cream on the paws to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition. You can read about allergies here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.