Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 4 year old boxer American bulldog mix and she

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old boxer American bulldog mix and she bites/licks the air and starts foaming out of the mouth around her chin area. She eats just fine and drinks water just fine. At first I thought she was trying to catch dust in the air (and it was funny but annoying) but she is constantly doing it now and I don't know whether to be concerned.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about American?
Customer: Her name is***** is an american-bulldog boxer mix.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

The air biting/licking you've described is most often diagnosed to be a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in dogs which is described as mood/behavioral disorders chasracterized by repetitive, invariant, patterned behaviors that are exaggerated in intensity, frequency, and duration given the inciting stimuli (i.e., expressed out of context). The behavior interferes with health and well-being. You're correct to be concerned because both medical and behavioral disorders can result in OCD. All cases of OCD warrant intervention which is individualized and based on the frequency and severity of clinical signs. Treatment is usually a combination of behavioral and environmental modification and psychotropic medication. The goal is to minimize - and if possible eliminate - bouts of compulsive behavior and the concomitant anxious states that accompany them.

The initial database should include a complete blood count, urinalysis, and serum chemistry profile; these are usually within normal limits but needed to assess for systemic disorders and before initiation of medications. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.